Monday, February 12, 2007

Over at Butler Court...

12th February 2007
2nd day at Loughborough, 139 days to (in)sanity.
8 a.m.

Jetlag sets in last night after my arrival four days earlier. You could say that it’s a little late for jetlag but I had no problems sleeping the right time for the past three days. When people tell you it’s colder up in the north, they’re not lying. Without a comforter for the added comfort, I found myself hugging anything within reach in the hope of some warmth in the middle of the night. While everyone else was out partying last night, I went to bed at 7 p.m. What’s there to party? Beginning of school term? I only celebrate beginning of school term in Singapore with a nice slice of cake from NYDC.

I woke up at 5 am only to realize that it was still too early to get up. I have yet to love my room because it is different from Kent Ridge Hall. Good thing is, I have an attached bathroom. I also have a room mate. My neighbours tell me she is from Finland. I have yet to meet her since I slept real early last night. I am pretty excited to meet her. Last night she was still in London. I met with other Singaporeans though and two other girls from Finland who are my neighbours. I quite like how on third floor, I get to share the kitchen with only five other girls cause there are only six person staying on my side of the third floor. The attached bathroom is clean although I do feel a great deal of discomfort without a movable pipe. Back to my room mate, she is asleep now and I tried my best not to wake her up this morning at five.

Sun rises at around 7 a.m. and sets around 4.30 p.m. The restaurants particularly the pizza place will only open from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. I found two halal brochures. That gives me a deep sense of security since most of the foods here have either wine added or pork mixed with it. I cannot be too particular though since I need the meat.

My room mate just woke up and talked to me. Her name is Sara and she is from Finland doing her Masters in engineering. Her course will end on the 9th March and she has only about four more weeks left here. Apparently, the International Students’ Association organize weekly Saturday day trips to various parts of England. She said it ranges between 10 to 15 pounds and they’ll just drop you off and pick you up. That way, I’ll get to travel around without incurring any additional cost on other things. Transportation here is very costly. Coming to Loughborough alone from London was 52 pounds.

I’m off soon to the Geography Department to meet Dr Brown, the SEP coordinator. I’ve heard about his charismatic nature and how he is such a nice person. I am looking forward to meeting him because he will cure any worries I have regarding my modules. He sounds old though.

Will update soon and talk more about what I learnt in London. With pictures too!

No comments: