Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sitges & Oporto (Portugal)

They say exchange is a good time for self-discovery. To others, it is taking a break from our awfully draining education system in Singapore. To many others, it is all about fun and travelling.

It is going to be two months since i got here and i must say, there were times when i feel on cloud 9 and other times when i am just down in the dumps. My feelings are often on extreme ends of the spectrum. There are some things here that is prompting me to change my mind on certain issues. There are things that are luring me to adopt a change in lifestyle. Many things. This result in me having this internal struggle. I am too afraid to change but fearing changes would mean i am just being a rigid dork and it is brainless not to open my heart to these changes - some of which may be good changes.

I am having fun but i also acknowledge the costly fun i am having. Sometimes it brings me down and other times, i feel like i can share with people at home. I look forward to visiting places and sending postcards home because i want my family and loved ones to see what i see, in the hope that i can bring all of them here one day. I have no other intentions. I want to know i am missed while i am here. I am still the same at the end of the day.

Anyway, we went Sitges on our last night in Barcelona. Took the train and enjoyed the scenic view and the soaking up the sun. We ate Xato De Sitges - A specialty of Sitges. It was really just normal salad filled with fish and a special sauce. Fantastic feel after eating that. Almost like taking weed.. Ok. I am exaggerating. Haven´t tried weed and i am certain i won´t want to try.

We went to watch Allegria the night before and i started wondering about the life of the people working at the circus. It makes you wonder how they behave in real life behind that mask. It reminded me of Mr Gradgrind. Facts, Facts, Facts. He would have died of heart attack if he had seen Allegria and Charles Dickens wouldn´t have much problems with the ending.

We reached Oporto at our lovely hotel room at 9 p.m. on Tuesday (27th March 2007). I feel like an illegal immigrant because they didn´t give me a Portugal chop in my passport. Apparently, they're pretty slack with these things when you travel on budget airlines within the EU. We had cup noodles cause our hotel is situated in the city centre and commercial areas. It is deserted at night. Last night, Fi and I nearly got ourselves into trouble for going out late and having this stalker just following us. He made it all too obvious and did not even attempt to pretend he wasn´t following. Luckily for us, two men we approached were kind enough to walk us back to our hotel and showed us the direction for the police. That, was real scary. For the first time in Europe, i was genuinely afraid last night.

I finished entering museums and cathedrals in Oporto and Fi is somewhere at the other end of town at the Wine Museum. Decided that i won´t join her as i am more interested in visiting the slums here. It is fascinating. After this, i´ll do just that and return to the hotel by 7 p.m. Otherwise, some man will probably try to scare me again. I should be fiercer... Grr...

Many nice places in Oporto but i think i´ll describe them with the pictures later on. It was real nice to see the ´Glory to Allah´room in Portugal´s commerce area. Very luxurious.

The food i ate giving me stomach pains and this keyboard is making me feel tired from typing. The symbols are everywhere.

No comments: