Thursday, April 12, 2007

Things are made not to be seen...

A lesson learnt when i visited the British Museum in London a few days ago.
Apparently, in Africa, statues were made for own private meditation and worshipping functions. They were made not for show. Colonial rulers brought back these statues without truly understanding what it has been used for.

Most of the statues were built using a piece of wood, carved with various designs to portray qualities of someone who just died. It is believed that the spirit will be attached to the statue.

Contrary to the popular belief that African women are repressed or weaker in society, women there are actually more powerful and have the upper hand in many issues pertaining to practices and decision making in households. This is manifested in the many processions where their status in society is very important.

The Hippo Masquerade is organized yearly in Nigeria. Over there, men with hippo masks will parade and dance without the presence of the women. They believe that the hippo spirit is able to bring them good luck and fortune for their harvesting needs.

Ghana: You need not say a word and people will stay know about your status and problems (personal ones even). This is due to the clothes and materials they adorn every day. Each fabric has meanings to it. Almost like the Batik prints from Indonesia, they have their own style. There is even a fabric for husbands who are responsible and good. I think that is the sweetest thing a wife would do for the husband over there.
I went on the London Eye and i do not think it is as spectacular as i thought it was. I should have saved that 13 pounds to watch the musical 'Wicked' instead. Next time, i should really budget well. I watched 300 though. Now, i see why the people around me are so caught up quoting these actors. Fine... i quite like 'Tonight, we dine in hell' and 'only Spartan women give birth to real men'. I think Singaporean women also. But that aside, I saw an exhibition on the Sparta people over at the British Museum. It got me interested in the history of Greece. I had a debate with Fiona over that. Fiona was astonished that i looked to movies to be interested in history. She was obviously irritated. But hey, let's just say that Hollywood movie triggers the interest and i see no harm so long i get the facts right... Anyway, if you have done 'Film and History', there's always the question of what is history. Let's not get into epistemology for now. It can get pretty draining.

I passed by Buckingham Palace and visited all three popular parks in London - Hyde Park, St James Park and Green Park. The Garden City Movement is quite apparent in Central London and i love the culture of hanging out in the park. Of course, that is possible in Singapore but made impossible by the weather. But then again, that is no excuse because temperature can get as high in summer and that doesn't stop the locals and residents from hanging out in the park during those times.

Had an absolutely fun time today with the floormates, three distinguished members of the Singapore Society and Joan's boyfriend, Jeff. We went Charlton Park with a tower that you can actually go up to see the whole of Loughborough. It started off with a fun run session and although i wasn't exactly dressed properly for it, i managed to run quite well considering how i've actually taken a long break from it. We played ultimate frisbee. I suck at it.Following that, we went to the supermarket to get ingredients for our lunch party for eleven. Mel, Yushan and YZ are good cooks. They cooked such a filling meal. My egg omelette with onions, mushroom and cheese didn't turn out so well. It must be the egg. haha.

I'm going random so here goes...

First of all, I am on my UK line as of now. Ira, please tell mama.

Secondly, I had a miserable morning as well. But i don't think i threw it out on you.

Thirdly, i read a report discrediting the usefulness of evening primrose after it reached my mailbox today. I hope the report is wrong.

If I email you, you better treat it well. I do not email everyone and the least you could do is to acknowledge that you've received my mail.

Fifth, I love you Jannah. Thanks for everything. I don't think i need to go on about what i'm thankful for.

Sixth, I enjoyed the talk on 'Men' last night. Thank you fellow exchangees. Let's drop the question because i really hate chicken-or-egg questions. Do you need a man and therefore you like him OR do you like a man and therefore you need him? I do not think it is mutually exclusive. :)

My back is killing me. Please get well soon.

No comments: