I shall type this entry with the end of exams in mind. On the 15th June 2007, the last paper was done. Submitted. One can only imagine the grin on my face as i confidently stood up at the end of 45 minutes, walking towards the entrance as a rainstorm greeted me outside. No wait. Something's amiss. I left my matriculation card on the desk.
With annoyance and embarrassment for myself, i turned around and smiled at the invigilator.
Aida: Hi. I'm officially done with the paper. I think i left my card on the desk. Would it be possible for you to get it for me?
Invigilator: Which desk is that?
Aida: This row, fifth desk. *Winning smile* CHEERS!
She passed me the card and i strutted out convincingly. The heavy rain welcomed me to the outside world and I quickened my pace towards Butler Court, anticipating banners saying "Congratulations, you're done!" There was none... but an extremely agitated Amirul stood in his room pacing about trying to dry himself from the downpour.
I went online, announcing to the world i'm through with exams.
That was the last day. The exams in Loughborough are different from our normal NUS-we-follow-US- and- UK system. Ironically, UK focuses much on understanding the concepts in greater detail rather than trying to make you memorise the entire definitions and concepts put forward by scholars since the 1st century. Alright, i am being far too critical. Maybe the 20th century.
That said, i must add that i still prefer the NUS way (apart from the horrid bell curve. A huge problem for someone with mediocre IQ like me). While it is good to fully understand a concept taught, i think a range of different ideas from different scholars can help us be far more critical and somehow, produce a more engaging and rigorous analysis. The only problem is, some of us (minus the dean's listers and book prize awardees) will take the short cut and not go in-depth with the readings. I am guilty of that myself.
Then, there's the weather. I am doing General Biology module for this special semester 4 (for no reason. Just wanted to be a nerd). The weather is melting me and i seem to have difficulties concentrating or not falling asleep after lunch. I get exasperated at every trickling of perspiration down my neck, eager to just either go somewhere air-conditioned or take a long nice shower at SRC. I think i am complaining too much. It feels like i am reverting back to the whiny Aida. If you've got a problem with that, deal with it.
Back to the point. I've digressed too much. Supposed to talk about Choa Chu Kang but i went on to Pulau Ubin (the Ulu East). The Loughborough exams encompassed two multiple-choice questions paper and essays for the rest. MCQs are tough things, i tell you. Although you are assured of a correct answer if you pick wisely, i suspect a huge flaw to my elimination method. For that, i am still worrying over the outcome of my papers.
That is all about the papers. Coursework wise, i think i've done justice to my parents by ensuring that i haven't touched the 50 range. As it is, the way with parents is simple - just tell them you've done well... relatively. :)
Singapore is great fun. I love our nightlife. I love my friday nights. I love my beaches. I love the variety of food.
So... Sushi me.
And I have God to thank for the two years.
Thursday, June 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Ok, i must say your blog is my personal favourite. Simply because, it is written very coherently and well, i just like the style of writing.
Oh, do post some stuff up when you are free and totally bored. Cheers!
:)
You flattered me there boy!
Thanks. I'm still posting on msges for you guys. That is very encouraging.
Post a Comment